Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Pollan

Michael Pollan has written a persuasive piece just within this chapter. I have to agree with so many of my classmates and Americans in that I am not going to stop eating meat after reading this but you can make sure that the next hamburger I have will not be the same. The cruelty that these animals suffer before the inevitably meet their demise is just wrong. "You can have your cake, and eat it too," without completely destroying its whole sense of being.

Like presented in an earlier post the Native Americans hunted and ate animals like us, the only difference killing and eating buffalo was sacred to their culture and they didn't waste anything. Americans now go through cattle and other animal products like nothing and don't stop to think about what their eating. Pollan was very persuasive and respected the notion that this wasn't going to prevent people from eating meat, which wasn't his intentions, but to just think about what they are eating and hopefully be able to get slaughterhouses and cattle farms to change how they treat the animals.

I thought a powerful comparison, I guess you could say, was when he compared slave owners and they treated their slaves to cattle owners and how they raise cattle. This presented a lot of emotion to the reader. I know after reading this chapter my thoughts on meat will change even though my consumption won't. My only hope is that people feel the same way I do after reading this so that we can finally get something changed once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment