Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My personal place

The adventurous woods behind my grandparents’ house are where I spent the majority of my time when I was younger. My brother, friends and I would make the ten minute walking journey up to their house and march right into the backyard where our playground awaited. This woodland area was covered with trees as far as the eye could see, full of creeks, ponds and rock covered hills. There were hours of entertainment no matter what time of the year it was. In summer we would swim and climb hills, or what we would call mountains. Fall was a time for paintballing and building forts out whatever we could find. Finally wintertime brought us snowball fights and sled riding on the hill that lined the edge of the forest.
Another perk to this glorious forest were the different animals we would come across. Animals as large as a twelve point buck to insects as a small as a caterpillar filled this wooded area that we called heaven. In fact one of our hobbies was catching these animals and seeing who could find the strangest or “coolest” one. There seemed to be no end to the possible activities we could do in this forest. This is why my friends and I would keep coming back for more each day.
This majestic place has stuck with me even to this very day and makes up a small part of who I am today. I love to be outdoors in cold or hot days reliving a small part of my childhood. Even now, more than ten years since I’ve stepped foot in those woods, I cannot pass woods and not remember the times I spent with my friends in that little slice of paradise.

5 comments:

  1. Good discussion of your relationship to the woods/what you did there. Definitely gives a sense of a playful childhood. Maybe a little more description of your emotions evoked by the woods, or just of the trees, water, ground, etc. that surrounded you. -KS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Descriptions of the woods and scenery...maybe add some more description of what you saw or talked about with your friends on the ten minute walk to their house. Created a good visual for the reader!
    KM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyable and descriptive, put me back into my childhood and all the adventures I had. I found it interesting that the different times of year were touched upon.
    RS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading this piece because it surfaced extremely fond memories I have on exploring the depths of the woods. I do agree with the first post in that more descriptive emotions could be added because when dealing with a time period as imaginative as childhood, the possibilities for great descriptions of emotions are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Andrew. The descriptions you used were great! I really felt like I could imagine the place and loved the part about catching animals and put me back into childhood.

    ReplyDelete